WHY STEEL SIPS?
Although any SIP construction will save 50 – 60% in energy costs, are 3 times stronger than frame, and are more environmentally friendly. Steel is a better choice for the following reasons
Advantages of Steel SIPs vs. OSB
- Steel will not warp, swell, twist, rot
- Rain during construction do not affect materials in any way
- No cranes needed for installation a steel SIPs are lighter than OSB
- The underside of the roof panel automatically forms an attractive finished soffit overhang or exterior porch ceiling.
- Joints are a T&G friction fit they do not require splines, mastic or fasteners greatly speeding installation time
- Steel is more stable during manufacturing and panels are held to 1/16" tolerance
- OSB is limited to 24ft. in length ...Steel SIPs are available up to 53ft. in length, eliminating butt joints
- Steel panels are manufactured on a continuous line making them available in square pre-cut lengths in ¼ " increments, but only charged to the nearest ½ ft., OSB often rounds up to the nearest 2 ft. increment – making you pay for waste that gets thrown away
- Higher " R – Value" denser foam provides a 4.25 R- value per inch of foam
- No Termites ... Impervious to termites and carpenter ants , steel skin and foam core offers no food value
- No foam grooving is required for window and door openings, after cutouts are made, openings are simply "picture framed" with 18.ga. steel channels
- The steel skin is the "vapor barrier" on walls no additional covering is required before siding is applied
- Eave overhangs can be 4 feet with no additional support
- Sound Control – utilizing a 1-1/2" steel furring strip creates a dead air space for improved STC ratings.
- Wiring – utilizing that same air space, wiring is much easier than fishing wire thru OSB and any future retrofit wiring is easier.
- Will not support mold growth – painted galv. steel skins are UDSA approved
- Indoor air quality is better due to the tighter and cleaner construction material of the interior
- Any steel building is safer from lightning strikes
- "Monocoque construction" All connections and attachments are with screws having greater pullout strength than nailing
- For economy or insulated utility buildings, steel SIPs have been left exposed as the finished siding and roofing.
- Properly grounded steel buildings are safer than wood in lightning storms
- Zurich Ins. In partnership with the Steel Framing Alliance offer reduced builders risk insurance premiums
- In the Gulf Coast Region and other hurricane prone regions Steel SIPs are 30% less to insure that block/truss and 53% less to insure than wood frame construction
- LEED points easily attained as steel skins are made from recycled steel , are recyclable and EPS foam core is recyclable